(From Banu's Cookbook)
1 Large Eggplant - Cut into small pieces
1 Medium Sized Onion - Chopped Fine
2 Medium Tomatoes - Chopped Fine
1tsp - Turmeric
2tsp - Curry Powder(I used MTR Multipurpose Curry Powder)
1/2tsp - Red Chili Powder
1/4 Cup Cilantro - Chopped for garnishing
1tsp - Cumin Seeds for Seasoning
1/4 Cup Yogurt - it is better if you drain the water off the yogurt
Salt to Taste
Oil for Sauteing
1. Saute the cut Eggplant pieces with some oil until they turn bit soft and almost cooked.
2. In another pan - heat the oil and add cumin seeds. Then add chopped onion and saute until onion becomes translucent.
3. At this point add chopped tomatoes and mix it will and fry for a few more minutes. Add some water and let this whole mixture cook well until it is blended well and becomes somewhat of a paste consistency.
4. Now add the Turmeric, Chili Powder and Curry Powder and mix well. Add the sauteed eggplant and salt and mix well. Let this cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the Yogurt and mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Even though it looks like the yogurt is separating, it will mix well together.
6. Add Chopped Cilantro and switch off the fire.
Serve Hot with Chapati or Rice.
1. You can also add ginger and garlic before adding Onion.
2. You can use Greek Yogurt as it is bit more heavier than regular yogurt.
3. You can adjust the chili powder and Curry powder if you want it more spicy.